Subdivsion & Development Appeal Board (SDAB)

Hours of Operation

Monday to Friday 8:30am-12Noon and 1pm-4:30pm


The Subdivision and Development Appeal Board (SDAB) is an independent tribunal established by Town Council that hears appeals relating to:

  • Decisions of the Development Authority regarding development permit applications
  • Enforcement orders issued by the Development Authority
  • Decisions of the Subdivision Authority regarding subdivision applications

A hearing panel is made up of members-at-large citizens living in the Town of St. Paul and 1 Councillor. The decisions of the Board are final and cannot be overturned unless the Board makes an error in some aspect of law or jurisdiction.

The SDAB meets as required.

How do I file an appeal?

Please complete this form and return it within the legislated (21 days for development permits and 14 days for subdivisions) time frame.

Attention: Secretary of the Subdivision and Development Appeal Board
Address: 2nd Floor, Town Hall, 5101-50 Street

What happens after I file an appeal?

Once an appeal is filed, a hearing will be scheduled within 30 days.  At least 5 days’ notice of the hearing will be given to those persons specified in the Municipal Government Act and the Town's Land Use Bylaw. 

The Board conducts its hearings in a manner that may resemble court proceedings.  The Board tries to keep the process informal, however procedures are set out to promote fairness for all parties.  The hearing and evidence submitted are public.  

The Board will give its decision in writing together with reasons for the decision within 15 days after concluding the hearing.


Please click here for information.

Is each board member sitting on a SDAB panel required to take training?

Yes, each member & clerk must have completed the required training program & assessment of learning to be able to sit on a panel.  A refresher training is required every 3 years.

Court of Appeal

A decision of the Intermunicipal Subdivision and Development Appeal Board (ISDAB) may be appealed to the Court of Appeal on a question of law or jurisdiction. 

Are there resources that I may access from Municipal Affairs?

See this link for additional information.

Information provided should not be considered legal advice.  Parties affected by a matter before the Intermunicipal Subdivision and Development Appeal Board should consult the actual legislation or may choose to seek legal assistance.