Aquatic Centre

Please note that the Aquatic Centre will be closed from September 5th to September 29th for annual maintenance. This is a full closure.



To learn Alberta's approach to the rules and regulations that will come into effect once Cannabis is legalized in Canada.  Please see this link (video). 

Alberta Gaming Liquor and Cannabis (AGLC) website on Cannabis. 

Cannabis Health Effects (Courtesy of the Government of Canada)

Areas of Responsibility

Government of Canada Possession Limits - New Criminal Offences - Advertising - Impaired Driving - Medical Cannabis - Production - Age Limit (Federal Limit) - Public Health - Education - Taxation - Home Cultivation - Regulatory Compliance
Government of Alberta Impaired Driving - Public Health - Education - Taxation - Workplace Safety - Distribution/Wholesaling - Retail Model - Retail Locations and Rules - Regulatory - Compliance - Public Consumption
Town of St. Paul Retail Locations and Rules (setbacks from sensitive uses) - Public Consumption on Public Lands - Land Use and Zoning - Education - Workplace Safety


Cannabis Retail Store

Interested in filing an application for a Cannabis Retail Store? See below for the steps to do so.

Step 1:  Review the application and applicable requirements under the Land Use Bylaw to understand where proposed retail stores can be located in the Town of St. Paul. 

According to the Land Use Bylaw, the Town has implemented a 100m setback (measured from the exterior wall of the cannabis store to the lot line of the parcel) from the following addresses:

  • DP 051-18 (Issued) Approved Cannabis Retail Store site:  5121-50 Avenue / Tax Roll #1282
  • DP 044-20 (Issued) Approved Cannabis Retail Store site: 4225-50 Avenue / Tax Roll #2647
  • DP 057-20 (Issued) Approved Cannabis Retail Store site:  5026-50 Avenue / Tax Roll #536
  • St. Paul Wellness Centre:  4801-39 Street / Tax Roll #2687
  • St. Paul Community Health Services:  5610 to 5622 - 50 Avenue / Tax Roll #980
  • St. Therese Healthcare Centre:  4713-48 Avenue /  Tax Roll #1750
  • St. Paul Municipal Library: 4802-53 Street / Tax Roll #1768
  • Ecole Racette Junior High School: 4638-50 Avenue / Tax Roll #1974
  • St. Paul Regional High School:  4701-44 Street / Tax Roll #820
  • Glen Avon School:  4402-42 Street / Tax Roll #2544
  • Ecole Elementaire - St. Paul Elementary Community School:  4520-48 Avenue / Tax Roll #2274
  • Ecole du Sommet:  4609-40 Street / Tax Roll #2627
  • Les Petit Oursons Day Care:  4617-50 Avenue / Tax Roll #2272
  • Boys & Girls Club Day Care: 4821-50 Avenue / Tax Roll #2023
  • St. Paul Child Care Facility:  5201-50 Street / Tax Roll #233002
  • St. Paul Alternate Education Centre (SPAEC):  4701-44 Street / Tax Roll #820
  • Parcel of land that is designated as school reserve or municipal and school reserve under the MGA.  At minimum, this means any existing park or playground or vacant land that may be developed in the future for a park, playground, or school.

**New cannabis retail store sites must:

  • be zoned as C1 District;
  • be directly adjacent to Main Street (50th Street) or on a service road adjacent to Main Street (50th Street);
  • be 100m setback from the properties listed above;
  • Minimum of 1 parking stall per employee on shift.

Step 2: Select a site that meets the above noted requirements.

Step 3:  Prepare a public engagement letter to mail out to adjacent owners.  This letter can be changed to suite your needs. Engagement to surrounding owners can either be: 

  • Adjacent land under the Land Use Bylaw means land that is contiguous to a particular parcel of land and includes land that would be contiguous if not for a highway, road, river, or stream, and any other land as identified in the Land Use Bylaw. (Minimum required)
  • It is recommended, but not required, for Developers to consult with owners (and renters alike) on the entire blocks adjacent to the subject site and across the road and/or back alley behind the subject site.  The reason this expanded engagement area is being recommended is that if the application is approved, any "affected parties" can file an appeal if they can show how they are affected.

If it is desired, the draft public engagement letter can be sent to Aline Brousseau, Director of Planning & Legislative Services at for review prior to sending and/or mailing to ensure all necessary information is included.  If desired, a Developer can request that the Town of St. Paul's Planning Department sends the written notice and the appropriate hours of staff time & postage would be covered by the Developer.  Please know, in advance that by requesting the Town to conduct this mail out, the mail out will be as our time allows us to do so.  This may or may not fit with your timelines of securing a property.  Although, we are here to help. 

While the engagement is occurring, the applicant/owner may apply for the Roadside Development Permit through Alberta Transportation.  It is our understanding that their turnaround time could be up to 4-6 weeks.  

Once the engagement closes, the developer submits a summary of the engagement to the Development Officer.  A sample form is included as a template.

Step 4:  Submission of the development permit application, appropriate $1200.00 fee, AGLC's Due Diligence Department clearance, and engagement report together to the Director.  Please call or email to book an in-person appointment to facilitate your desired meeting date and time to review the application.  A meeting held virtually can also be accommodated.

Once all the information is received the Planning team conducts an investigation of the site selected, takes photos, and prepares a report for the Municipal Planning Commission's (MPC) consideration.  The MPC is the approving authority for all cannabis retail stores.  It usually takes 2-3 weeks to conduct a review of the application submitted and schedule a meeting with the MPC.  Applications are considered on a first come first serve basis.  As a result, when you file your application there could be other applications in the queue to be reviewed. Please know that we will make every effort to review your permit application as soon as we possibly can.

The MPC can either approve with conditions, table for more information, or deny an application with reasons.

Step 5:  If the application is approved, the Planning team sends out notices to adjacent owners, the local newspaper, Facebook, the Town's Website, and posts a notice on the doors of the Town Hall.  Any party may appeal the decision within 21 days from the date it appears in the local newspaper.  If the file is tabled or denied, the Director of Planning will be in contact with you to advise you of the next steps.

Step 6:  After the 21 day appeal period has concluded, the development permit is issued and emailed to the applicant and owner, if no appeals are received.

Cannabis Facility

If you wish to inquire or apply for a cannabis facility, please see the Land Use Bylaw 2021-04 for the requirements.