Subdivision & Rezoning



Subdivision is the process of dividing land into smaller parcels. A proposal might be as simple as subdividing one lot into two lots, but more often proposes a large number of new lots and roads in a developing neighbourhood. All subdivisions must follow the Town's Municipal Servicing standards.

On October 29, 2018, Council appointed themselves as the Subdivision Authority for the Town of St. Paul. Individuals are encouraged to meet with Aline Brousseau, Subdivision Officer prior to submitting an application by contacting 780-645-1766.

Step 1:  If you are considering subdivision, the application form can be found here.

Step 2:  Submit the completed application, fee, and tentative plan to Aline Brousseau, Subdivision Officer.

Step 3:  Once the file has been reviewed by the Subdivision Officer, you will be notified via letter stating that the file is "deemed complete".  Subsequently, the Subdivision Officer sends out referrals to the agencies and adjacent owners with a 21 day minimum response time.

Step 4:  Once all comments have been returned, the Subdivision Officer prepares a report and schedules a meeting with the Subdivision Authority.  According to the Municipal Government Act, the Subdivision Authority has 60 days to make a decision unless an agreement between the parties for an extension has been reached.  Typically, a decision is able to be rendered within this timeframe.

Step 5:  If your file receives a "conditional approval", you may then complete the applicable conditions on file.

Step 6: Once all conditions are met, the Subdivision Officer grants the endorsement (registration) to the applicant for registration within 1 year at the Land Titles Office in Edmonton.

Land Use Bylaw Amendment
(Map or Text Amendment)

There are two types of Land Use Bylaw amendments: text amendments or map amendments.

A text amendment may propose to modify an existing regulation or add a new definition.  A map amendment may propose to change the land use district (zone) of a parcel of land; for example, changing the land use district (zone) of a property from R1 District to R3 District.

Developing a property can be complex, it is recommended that you book an appointment with the Director to review your proposal prior to submitting an application. 

Step 1: If you are considering a land use bylaw amendment, the application form can be found here

A list of amendments can be found here.

Step 2:  Once the form is completed, please call Aline Brousseau, Director of Planning & Development at 780-645-1766 to discuss your proposal to determine the best course of action.

Step 3: Submit the completed application, and fee to our office, please book a time to receive the application to ensure all information is provided. 

Step 4:  The Director prepares the bylaw for Council's consideration.  You will be advised as your file progresses with the bylaw readings and public hearing.