Development Permits (DPs)

Development Permits

A development permit is required for most forms of development within the Town. The Land Use Bylaw outlines the types of development allowed in each land use district and the rules and regulations governing those uses.  Not all proposed developments requires a development permit. Smaller sheds, fences and decks may not require a development permit. It is best to confirm with Planning & Development whether you need a permit for the development you are considering.    

How long does it take to get a development permit?
It is important to plan ahead and submit your application well in advance of starting the development. According to the Municipal Government Act, the Development Authority has 40 days in which to make a decision on a completed development permit application. The 40 days begins after all the necessary information has been provided. If a proposed development falls in the Permitted Uses classification, a Development Permit can be issued within the 40 day time limit. Although, if your proposed development falls into the Discretionary Use classification or if a variance is being requested according to the Land Use Bylaw, approximately 2-4 months may be required to go through the permitting process (including the appeal period).

If you have been advised by Planning staff that your application is a permitted use, please check this page for processing timelines.

If you have been advised by Planning staff that your application is a discretionary use or a variance is required, please check this page for processing timelines.

Step 1:  For a development permit application, please follow this link.  For the schedule of fees, please follow this link.


**Any new home constructed after February 1, 2014, must comply with the New Home Warranty standards.

Safety Codes Permits

The Town of St. Paul is accredited by the Safety Codes Council.  We are pleased to announce that as of April 1, 2018, The Inspections Group Inc. will provide our permit issuance and inspection services for the Town of St. Paul. 

Permits and Compliance Reference Book

All permit forms and fee schedule can be found here.

If you would like to pay the safety codes permits by credit card, the form to be submitted with your application can be found here.

For quicker service, please send in your permit applications directly to the Cold Lake Office for permit issuance at:

Jamie Machatis, Permits Coordinator |
110, 4910 50 Avenue | Cold Lake, Alberta, T9M 0G1
Phone: (780) 594-4301 | Toll-Free: (888) 853-6411 |
Fax: (780) 594-3720 | Toll-Free Fax: (844) 750-3721

The Safety Codes Officers (SCO) that are appointed to the Town of St. Paul are:

Dale Vallee, Electrical SCO
Cell Phone: 780-573-1837 

Rick Baxter, Pluming, Gas, Private Sewage, & Building (Residential & Commercial) SCO 
Cell Phone:  780-222-2180 

**Please do not hesitate to call the SCO's for code information prior to applying for a permit or starting construction.  

To request an inspection, please see this link or call 1-888-853-6411.

Safety tips brochures can be found here

To obtain information on the upcoming changes effective December 1, 2017 for Residential Builders Licensing Program, please see this link.